Pages

June 29, 2010

Tuesday's $3 Dinner

Tonight's dinner was one of the easiest and cheapest of the meals on this week's menu. In fact, I don't even think it cost a full $3. And it cleared two more cans out of my pantry and cleared up some space in the freezer as well!


1 can of Nalley Beef Stew (the big can) - $1.99
1 cup frozen peas - let's say 25 cents worth
1 cup frozen corn - again, 25 cents worth
1 can diced tomatoes - 25 cents (bought when the store brand was 4/$1)
salt, pepper, cumin, oregano (to taste) - not worth figuring out :-)


Heated it all up and served it with bread and butter. Not fancy, but it was filling and everyone wanted seconds!


There is a new urgency to clean out our pantry this week. My hubby and I are starting a weight loss challenge next week, and most of the stuff I currently have in the cupboards is not going to be allowed! In fact, we will be sugar free for the next 30 days (or more). So we are cramming in all the goodies this week. Probably not a good plan ... but I refuse to let all that food go to waste! Tomorrow night is lasagna night - which should help get rid of at least half the pasta in the pantry, as well as all the cheese that probably won't be allowed either. 


If anyone has any good ideas for "lean and green" meals, I will gladly welcome them. Our dinners are going to consist of lean meats and non-starchy veggies. I'd love some new recipes to try out!

2 comments:

  1. I'm excited to hear more about what you'll be eating on your weight loss challenge!! Some of our favorite "healthy" meals...
    *chicken burgers from Costco- only 140 (i think) calories with a sandwich thin (100 calories) and piled high with spinach, sprouts, tomatoes...yum! We eat these with a salad, usually entirely made of baby spinach.
    *Healthy tacos- diced tomatos or salsa, corn, black beans all mixed together and serve with corn tortillas, really low calorie and yummy. Can add a little cheese and sour cream if you're feeling crazy.
    *I love Trader Joes turkey chili...low calorie too and $1.99 a can. We will split a can and eat on a baked potato which I know is starchy but not terrible, especially if you eat with a salad full of fiber to absorb carbs! I buy the baby spinach from Costco once a week...we eat a salad with almost every meal.

    Good luck and I'm going to have to save your mom's recipe for a fun occasion! I love me some lasagna!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those sound yummy, Patti! For the first 30 days, we probably won't be able to try most of those ... but after we get thru the first phase & can have a few more carb'ish type foods, I may have to try some of those. The chili sounds especially yummy to me. Could probably do that, minus the potato (potatoes of any sort didn't even make the list of ok veggies, lol). I will definitely have to check!

    ReplyDelete