Pages

October 17, 2010

Skate fish? What?

Okay, I had never heard of skate before ... except for the all-couples skate at Skate World. Who knew it was also something edible??!? We were at the local Asian market last week, and there was something called "Skate Fin"  on sale for a reasonable price. So I figured, what the heck? Of course, I couldn't find recipes anywhere for "skate". Go figure. But, according to Wikipedia, it's similar to cod and flounder. So, what you will see here is a flounder recipe that I adapted to suit our needs. 


It should be noted, though, if you ever go out and buy skate fin .... there's not as much meat on there as you would think. The fin part is mostly this bony membrane. So, double up! I didn't, so we'll be supplementing our protein needs with something else tonight. However, this is still yummy and worth trying with whatever fish variety you may choose!


1 lb skate fin (buy 2 lbs!!)
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/8 cup butter spread, melted (I used "Live Well" from Safeway - very low fat, no cholesterol and super low sodium)
1 tbsp low-fat or fat-free mayo
1 tsp fat free milk (original recipe called for twice the mayo - the milk helps thin it for spreading easier)
1 tsp onion powder (or you can use 2 tbsp fresh green onions)
1/8 tsp Mrs. Dash Lemon-pepper seasoning


Coat a piece of heavy-duty foil with cooking spray. Place fish on foil (on baking sheet). Coat with lemon juice. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes. Mix remaining ingredients together. After first 10 minutes, spread mixture over fish and return to oven on broil for 5 minutes. Serve!


Total cost was about $5, which is pretty reasonable for fish. Hope you enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I learned about skates in high school. In fact, two of my friends and I had some joke about them and a little gesture we did while saying "skate!" I really don't think I could eat one! ha. (Not that we have an Asian market around here anyway!)

    ReplyDelete