Pages

September 9, 2010

Veggie Medley Frittata

Okay, as I promised, here is my attempt at a vegetarian meal for my family. Turned out to be a little more work than I anticipated before starting my prep time. But it turned out yummy, so well worth it. Even the kiddo loved it ... veggies and all!


1/2 package Morningstar Farms Veggie Breakfast Bacon Strips
1 cup broccoli florets (which I didn't have, so I substituted zucchini)
3/4 cup sliced mushrooms
2 finely chopped green onions (which none of us care for, so substituted onion powder)
1 cup finely chopped red or green bell pepper
1 tbsp butter or margarine
4 eggs, lightly beaten, or 1 cup refrigerated egg substitute (I used Organic, free-range egg whites from Trader Joe's)
1/4 cup water
1/2 tsp oregano (I was out, so I substituted rosemary)
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (since we haven't re-introduced dairy into our diet yet, we used soy cheese)
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese (same as the Cheddar)
1/2 up chopped tomatoes


Prepare the "bacon" per package directions. Cut into bite size pieces.
In a large skillet, saute broccoli, mushrooms, green onions, and bell peppers in butter until tender. Remove from heat & set aside.
In a mixing bowl, beat together eggs, water, oregano, pepper and garlic powder until foamy.
Stir in "bacon", cheese, tomatoes and broccoli mixture. Pour into a greased shallow 1 1/2 quart baking dish. Bake at 350 for about 25 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.

I actually doubled the recipe, and we have enough leftovers for another meal for all 3 of us. Total cost was about $9-10. If you make it as listed above, cost should be about half of that. Cost per serving is about $1.75, which is decent to my way of thinking. Next time around, I'll probably use something like ground turkey or sausage, something along those lines (although the fake bacon really wasn't bad). Also, if you use the non-soy version of cheese ... probably a little cheaper, since that stuff is not cheap. It was an experiment for this recipe. I will probably just wait until we're both eating dairy again and use the real stuff next time!


This seemed to be a pretty kid-friendly recipe. My kiddo usually spits out bell pepper, and she was practically inhaling them. She is not usually fond of zucchini either, and she ate every bite. Definitely a successful meal when the kids eat all their veggies!

No comments:

Post a Comment