Pages

September 11, 2010

Cheese & Tamaters

We tried the yummiest new recipe today! Found it on the back of the bag of frozen shrimp I bought a while back, and it is to die for! It was much more labor-intensive than I anticipated, but that was my own fault ... well, my child contributed to how long it took me to make, but I prefer not to remember those ugly moments this morning. So, here goes ...


1 lb shrimp, peeled & de-veined, finely chopped (use your food processer or food chopper ... don't decide to do it by hand like I did!)
12 Roma tomatoes (found them at Walmart for .38/lb this week!)
1 tbsp oregano (I'm still out, so I substituted tarragon & then added a couple dashes of garlic powder)
2 tsp fresh lemon juice
3 oz feta cheese, finely chopped (we're still dairy-free, so I substituted a little soy parmesan)
3 oz cream cheese (we have none on hand, obviously, so I substituted some red pepper/garlic hummus - WAY yummy!!)
1/2 cup chopped Kalamata olives (don't have them & don't like them, so I just used black olives)


Core the tomatoes & remove all the pulp from inside. Cut a thin slice off the bottom (so they'll stand upright) & place on a non-stick baking sheet. After chopping other ingredients, mix together in a large mixing bowl. Spoon mixture into tomatoes (you may come out with enough for a couple extra tomatoes - I did). Place in 400 degree pre-heated oven for 15-16 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Remove & serve warm.


Seriously, this was beyond yummy. In fact, I'm thinking this may be equally yummy with some of the green tomatoes I'm probably going to be stuck with in my garden this fall. Cheese and tomatoes were created to go together ... I am quite convinced of this. Even with no "real" cheese in this recipe, it made me happy. Total cost was about $4-5. So, for us, it was about $2.50 a serving. For someone who serves this as a side dish, it's probably more like 4 servings. And it's definitely a keeper. I'm still drooling just thinking about it, and I'm not even hungry!!

No comments:

Post a Comment