Pages

July 14, 2010

Stir Fry

We had another yummy concoction last night. I am digging the extra challenge of this whole healthy eating thing. It seems to be even more satisfying if I meet a goal or beat my old record. I'm rather competitive that way. Which is probably why I enjoy those silly Facebook games so much, getting the chance to beat a bunch of other people. But I digress ... We had some super yummy stir fry last night. Normally, I would serve this over rice, but we are in the (mostly) starch-free part of our new eating plan. In the past, I would have served it with white rice - in the days to come, we will be using brown rice. You can use whatever your family enjoys. Or, like we did last night? Eat it without the rice!


12 oz chicken tenderloin, diced (about $2)
1 cup chopped celery (25 cents)
1 cup chopped white mushrooms ($1)
1 cup chopped tomatoes ($1)
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp lime juice
olive oil
Mrs. Dash chicken seasoning


Pour 1-2 tbsp of olive oil in a pan to heat, then add diced chicken. I added a pretty good sprinkle of the Mrs. Dash seasoning to it and cooked it up, flipping chicken partway through. Once chicken is cooked through completely, remove it from the pan. Leave drippings and remaining oil in the pan, and add the celery to it. Cook for at least 5 minutes, or until it is starting to soften, then add the mushrooms. Once the mushrooms have started to soften and shrink, add the tomatoes. In the meantime, combine the soy sauce and lime juice - set aside until the veggies are done cooking. (A good addition to this is to add some minced garlic to the sauce, but I didn't have any on hand.) Once the tomatoes have cooked down some, add the soy sauce/lime juice mix. Let it cook with the veggies for a minute or two, then add the chicken back into the pan.


Hubby and I split this evenly again (and I actually cooked a little extra for the munchkin, cuz she loves stir fry too). Cost per person is just over $2, possibly cheaper if you get a good deal on chicken. I have been using variations of this recipe for years with my family, and they love it. It is super easy and fairly quick. You can add in whatever veggies your family likes - we have used carrots, zucchini, bean sprouts, etc. in the past. Something about mixing that soy and lime juice makes the best sauce.


This is one of those recipes that is perfect when you are cleaning out your fridge, by the way. I have often done this dish with whatever veggies I can dig out of the bottom of my crisper and whatever meat is left in the freezer. I've even done it with ground beef before! The seasoning really makes the dish, so it's a great one to get creative with. If you try it, let me know which veggies you used and what type of meat ... and how your family liked it!

3 comments:

  1. We like brown jasmine rice....it's not as hard as some of the others can be :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds YUMMY! ...and I've found that wild rice (very healthy rice) is WAY good with stir-fry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Tiff. Ya know, I vaguely remember you introducing me to jasmine rice to begin with! :)

    ReplyDelete