Pages

November 5, 2011

Curry Chicken Stir Fry

I love accidental recipes that turn out to be super yummy! Some of my favorite meals have been "mistakes". This latest one is all because I cut my chicken up into 1 inch cubes before reviewing the recipe I planned to make and realizing that it was not supposed to be cut until after baking it. Not to mention my usual "I'm missing one ingredient I need" moment. If anyone is interested in the original recipe I planned to make (which is every bit as yummy and well worth trying!), you can find it on Cody Jo's blog New Beautiful Me


Ingredients
1.5 lbs chicken, cut into 1-inch cubes
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp curry powder
1 tsp turmeric (this was my substitution ingredient, because I was missing onion powder, of all things)
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp garlic powder


Put all ingredients in a zip-loc bag, make sure chicken is evenly coated with marinade, and allow to marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. You can marinate it for longer, but it's not really necessary.


You will also need approximately 6 cups of chopped vegetables. I used 2 cups of red and green bell pepper, 1 cup celery, 2 cups mini portabella mushrooms, and 1 cup tomatoes (last batch from my garden). These will cook down to about 3-4 cups worth of veggies.


Add 1 tbsp olive or vegetable oil to a wok (or large pan), allow to heat and coat entire pan. Add chicken and cook for about 2 minutes per side, until chicken is mostly cooked through. Remove chicken from pan. Add bell peppers and celery (or whatever veggies you're using that require the most cooking time). Stir fry until starting to soften, then add mushrooms. Cook for another couple minutes, or until mushrooms have "shrunk". Add tomatoes and cook for another minute. Add chicken back into pan and cook until heated through.


We ate this just as shown, but it would be great with whole grain brown rice or some shirataki noodles. Makes about 2.5 servings, which is perfect for us and the munchkin. And total cost was about $3.50, or a little over $1 a serving. My whole family gobbled it up - super yummy! Sorry there are no pictures, but we were a little hungry, and it disappeared before I could take any. But I promise it looked pretty too! Hope you enjoy it as much as we did. If you come up with any other great veggies to use with it, I'd love to hear what they were so we can try it next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment